The local government of America

Author: Levchenko Veronika, 
student 11A class 

During the 18th and 19th of September 2017 I`ve been shadowing the Menomonie, WI mayor – Randy Knack. I`ve choose this particular leader, because he is actually the person who runs the whole Menomonie city, so I was very interested in the work he is doing. Also it was easy to get to the mayor`s meetings which another exchange student – Nilufar Umarova and I attended. I`ve been to City Council Meeting and to Business

Innovation Center meeting.
First of all I would like to notice that while answering my questions mayor Knack mentioned the value of the teamwork in running the city and every other work. Mr. Knack is already on his 4th turn, he was chosen by popular vote and during all this time he did a pile of work. The reason why he decided to try to become a mayor without any politic education is the Menomin lake issue. When Randy Knack was a child and during his youth the lake was open for swimming – but then it became polluted and not appropriate for people and other living organisms. The ex-mayor did not pay enough attention for this problem, so Mr. Knack decided to try his own powers. Important thing is that even though the water in the lake is not good for drinking – people can swim and do fishing now thanks to mayor`s and his team`s work.
The first meeting I`ve been to was indeed an interesting one. Ten Wards, City Clerk and City Attorney attended the City Council Meeting including some interested visitors with whom I was sitting.
The Meeting started with Public Comments – simply the complains of citizens. It reminded me about medieval King listening about the problems with his parliament on the back. Every person who wanted to represent their opinion had to fill that into 3 or less minutes. We were lucky to hear the public comment of one lady who came to tall to mayor about the deer she has issues with.
The lady was very worried about the population of deer in Menomonie and area around the city. She said that in last 6 years the population grew too fast and now deer come into her garden and backyard. She saw 9 deer near the garage and 5 near the road only this week. She offered mayor to extend the hunting season in Menomonie and she was very eager to help with everything she could. Wards wrote the complain down and decided on the day when they could announce their decision. Because of the hunting being very common in Wisconsin all the changings connected with it must be discussed properly.
The other hot topic, except for opening the hunting season was removing the sidewalks in the old historical downtown. The Director of Public Works – also called Randy explained what progress he and his team already reached and the money they needed for further work. The sum was named even with cents!
After sidewalks hunting in Menomonie topic was raised again: controlling archery season, requirements for hunting, hunting on the lake territory, on public land, on the private property. Usually there are about 25 hunters per year who are allowed to hunt on specific properties. The city Council is responsible for everything connected with this. Also it looks after what big cities like Eua Claire do – they expand the archery season for 3 weeks? Because of the constantly growing population. In this case local government offers to give all extra hunted meat to shelters, where it could be used with more effectiveness then into hunter`s freezer.
While discussing every moment the mayor and Wards keep voting for or against. For example - hunting on the cemetery was not approved, filling the bottom of the hill with new soil to bury the pipe was approved.
The pipe was one more environmental problem. Because of the pipes down the hill – the bank is washed up. In this continues the highway will be destroyed. The project was approved.
The most powerful and pleasant part of the meeting was the one of the last votings - about the bridge. Starting the following week the building of the bridge started. Mayor Knack was requesting new bridge for more than 3 years. The Wards discussed on how to spread info among citizens, how to keep work on the bridge only in night hours. All the information was posted on Facebook for people to see it as soon as possible.
After discussing these questions (new Doughnuts shop, the University students arrival and the future Business Innovation Center meeting ) the City Council Meeting was finished as also the working day of the mayor.
Mayor Knack does not work all week long on the city`s matters, he has his own business. Mr. Knack thinks that for being a good leader you need to be honest and to be yourself. He honestly says that what he lacks – computer working skills. That makes him have a lot of paperwork he could have done on the computer. Mr. Knack is proud of cleaning the lake, he lives in Menomonie all his life and likes what he does. Since being a 16-years old teenage Randy Knack sings in the Barbershop Group, where they make acapella music. It is called «Chips». Mayor Knack advises all exchange students to enjoy their experience and for the Future Leader Exchange Program Students he adds that being friendly, polite, never lying and being the part of the family is the key of happiness in the host-society.
On the 19th of September the Business Innovation Center meeting happened. Developing of small business is important for city`s economy and infrastructure, so it is the part of mayor`s work.
The improving of the river bridge and the broadway must help the transit system of the city and the state. All the building must be finished by the first snow. For improving the transit system 1`500`000 $ of budget was given.
The big corporation 3M which provides working places for citizens of Menomonie and cities near such as Hudson, River Falls, etc; announced that it is going to work on small phones so more working places will appear.
The point of this meeting was in the building of the Center which would help in developing the small business. 250`000$ were given to the state of Wisconsin for having this Center. The job of It is to help with deciding on what, how, when and why to do to get money for what people are doing. The Business Innovation statistic says that with its help about 60 percents of small business reach the age of ten, as when without help only 25-30 do. Providing the ideas, workers, or the place for business – is the work of Business Innovation Center. Mayor and other people attending the meeting promised to help set up the center. The office is going to be finished soon. 
Mayor Knack seems to be a good leader who likes his job and likes making people`s life better. I found out that your wishes can value more than the lack of proper education or some other obstacles. I think that the way Mr. Knack decided to work on the things which are important to him is a very nice example of confidence and faith in what you`re doing. I am very grateful for time I had and the new experience